Counterpoint is hiring a Publicist to join the publicity department. The candidate must be based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Apply for the position here.
Counterpoint Press is seeking a Publicist with at least 1-2 years of publicity experience, preferably with a trade book publisher focusing on high quality fiction and nonfiction. The ideal candidate will have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, a proven ability to juggle projects and duties, demonstrated organizational skills along with creativity and a passion for books and reading. Applicants must have a BA in English Communications, or a related field, as well as some relevant internship or working experience. Candidates must have impeccable attention to detail, the ability to be proactive and problem-solve, and a communication style that instills confidence in authors, editors, and agents.
The position will report directly to the Publicity Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Design and execute targeted media and event campaigns for a variety of trade titles, including fiction, nonfiction (history/biography, memoir, art, current events, travel, and environment), poetry, and short stories
• Create media lists and maintain publicity databases
• Develop tailored press materials (including galley letters, press releases, email pitches, and jacket copy) while overseeing review copy mailings and maintaining diligent follow-up
• Analyze and report on efficacy of PR outreach in weekly meetings
• Attend industry conferences/conventions, author events, and in-person media meetings
• Schedule, record, and report on all Counterpoint/Soft Skull author events
• Build relationships with and liaise directly with bookstores
• Create and update individual author itineraries and master calendar
• Hire, train, and manage all interns through the duration of their seasonal internship
COUNTERPOINT LLC was created in 2007 through the acquisition of three notable independent presses: Counterpoint, Shoemaker & Hoard, and Soft Skull Press. In January 2008, the company began publishing two imprints, Counterpoint and Soft Skull Press. Shoemaker & Hoard titles are now being published under the Counterpoint imprint. Author-driven, we devote all energy to the fresh, cutting-edge, and literary voices of our authors. The genres we cover are vast—fiction and nonfiction, poetry, graphic novels, and anthologies, all of which collectively focus on current affairs and politics, counterculture, music, history, memoir, literary biography, religion, and philosophy. The company’s office is in Berkeley, California. Counterpoint books are distributed by Publishers Group West, a division of the Perseus Books Group. For more information, visit our website at www.counterpointpress.com.